A fire safety certificate (fire certificate) certifies that the product meets the fire safety requirements, i.e. it is compliant with the standards for fire-rating, fire resistance, permeability to gas and smoke, flame propagation and other safety ratings.
The following products are subject to the fire safety certification:
- building and finishing materials;
- engineering structures and articles;
- certain types of electrical appliances and instruments;
- garments, machinery and equipment for fire departments.
The fire safety requirements, classification of products by hazard rating, as well as the stages of fire safety certification have been put in place by Russian Federal Law No. 123-FZ of 22 July 2008, “ Technical regulations on fire safety requirements”.
The Eurotest Certification Centre facilitates the procurement of fire safety certificates for various groups of products. We undertake to do what you require in the shortest time possible.
Where a fire certificate is not required, our experts will tell you if other documents need to be in place, such as a fire safety declaration.
Fire safety certificate
A fire safety certificate is a document that certifies that the product meets the fire safety requirements. A fire certificate is valid within Russia only, as do all certificates of conformity with Russian technical regulations.
Required for products
The technical fire-safety regulation defines the groups of products that require a fire certificate for release into circulation. Such products include:
- building materials used for fire evacuation route finishing;
- finishing materials for surface and underground rolling stock;
- completion structures for cable penetrations, ducts, sealing glands etc.;
- lift shaft doors;
- cable products, including flame-retardant wires in single / bundle installation, fire-resistant cables, with low smoke and gas emission;
- mobile and portable fire extinguishers;
- firefighting monitors, foam generators, foam mixers and fire hoses;
- personal fire protection equipment;
- fire rescue appliances;
- fire rescue equipment;
- optional firefightinggear;
- solid extinguishing agents, fire extinguishing foam agents;
- automatic firefighting facilities;
- fireproofing facilities;
- automatic sprinkler components;
- autonomous fire-extinguishing installations etc.
Thereafter, the Government of the Russian Federation approved an updated list of products (with TN VED TS [Customs Union Import and Export Commodity Classification (CUIMEXCC)] codes specified) requiring a fire safety compliance audit (Decree No. 241 of 17 March 2009). The document covers the following goods:
- electrical appliances and instruments
- residual current circuit breakers,
- automatic switches,
- electrical cables;
- building and finishing materials
- PVC plates and blocks,
- film materials for wall and ceiling finishing,
- shaped and linear articles from polymer materials,
- heat and sound insulation materials,
- roofing and waterproofing materials;
- engineering structures and articles
- fire dampers of utility systems of buildings and structures,
- smoke exhaust fans,
- cable penetrations,
- sealing glands,
- lift shaft doors,
- cable trays and ducts);
- fire safety facilities
- fire extinguishers,
- firefighting monitors,
- foam generators,
- foam mixers,
- pressure fire hoses);
- special protective clothing, footwear and CIZ [personal protective equipment (PPE)] for firefighters etc.
Additional information: the technical regulation lists general groups of products (grouped based on product name only); Decree No. 241 introduces a more detailed list, which specifies the CUIMEXCC codes of products requiring fire certification.
Fire certification process
The core document that imposes the requirements for product fire certification is Russian Federal Law No. 123-FZ titled “Technical regulations on fire safety requirements”, dated 22 July 2008.
Article 147 of the regulation sets out the procedure for obtaining a fire certificate for products, starting from filing an application with an accredited certification authority to follow-up inspection of certified products.
Once in receipt of a fire certificate application, the certification authority shall:
- Assign the most appropriate certification scheme (based on the product supply type)
- Conduct a product fire safety compliance audit (testing by an accredited laboratory, sometimes a production audit)
- Review the findings
- Issue or deny (giving reasons) a fire safety certificate
- Conduct a follow-up inspection if required under the certification scheme.
A decision on whether to grant a fire certificate is based on a combination of comprehensive review of the test report, production audit certificate (if provided for by the certification scheme) and other documents regarding the conformity of the product with the requirements in place.
Form of fire safety certificate
There is no special form for a product fire certificate. The standard generic form for certificates of conformity with Russian technical regulations and, therefore, for the fire certificate is set out in Russian Industry and Energy Ministry Order No. 53 of 22 March 2006.
The term of a fire safety certificate depends on the certification scheme (for mass-produced products):
- 2s: 1 year maximum;
- 3s: 3 years maximum;
- 4s and 5s: 5 years maximum.
For job or batch production (schemes 6s and 7s), the term of the fire certificate is set for the service life of the specified product (if no such time limit is defined by the established applicant, the certificate shall be valid for 1 year).
Fire safety declaration
Registration of fire safety declaration is required for products such as:
- building materials not subject to fire safety certification;
- smoke exhaust ductwork;
- gas fire-extinguishing agents other than nitrogen, argon and carbon dioxide with active ingredient content of more than 95 %;
- emergency firefighting equipment other than fire extinguishers;
- firefighting appliances;
- firefighting equipment other than deluge guns, foam generators, foam mixers and fire hoses;
- materials of special protective clothing;
- mobilefirefighting appliances.
The term of a fire safety declaration is set up to 5 years.